Thursday, November 8, 2018

Macklemore Glorious


I understand that in my last critique, I also chose the song Glorious. I am choosing it again because in the last one, I had never seen the music video before. After seeing the music video now, there is so much more to the song that is not really revealed in just the lyrics. In an attempt to use the new critique strategy of ideology, I am going to break down the deeper meaning of this song from the Point of View of Macklemore, and his Grandmother. Along with breaking down the camera work which I believe helps tell the story.

To start, when you initially listen to the lyrics of the song, it almost sounds personal. It sounds like Macklemore is talking about his own life. Dealing with his own personal struggles. I believe this fooled a lot of people. Most of the research that I looked into about his lyrics said that it was talking about his own personal roller coaster of a life he was living. But upon watching the music video, so much has changed in my opinion. In the opening ten seconds, Macklemore is walking up to his Grandmother’s house, explaining that it is her one-hundredth birthday. That he wants to do anything she wants. The entire day is for her. Now the lines “You know I’m back, like I never left” means more to the viewers. The use of pathos in this music video is so evident, because I feel like most people are at fault for not spending enough time with their Grandparents. I know I don’t. So basically the entire day is formed around the idea that age is just a number and that everyone should be able to live their life how they feel. Which is something that I want to break down a little more.

The first thing that his Grandma receives is a brand new car, a clearly vintage car, where they proceed to act like rebellious teenagers living life to the fullest. The second thing they do is egg someone's house and purchase some brand new shoes. Then going to an old bar where they sang karaoke. The two then went to an arcade where she was able to play skee-ball and other traditional arcade games. Looking at the Grandmothers face, just sends the message again that age is only a number and should not stop you from having fun with friends and family. It’s obvious to me now that the video is showing that you are in greater control of your life. It is easy for someone to talk themselves out of enjoying life to the fullest 24/7 just because they get “too old.” So I would say that society is trying to wield most the power, while Macklemore is supporting that every individual has their own personal freedoms to live how they see fit.

As for the camera work, there are multiple cuts, getting different angles on the two in their journey. But what really grabbed my attention was the first opening scenes. For a music video, it is standard I believe to start it off with music, but Macklemore started his off with an introduction. Explaining maybe what they were going to be doing in the video, or maybe even who he was dedicating his video to. Either way it was something that is different. Another thing that I thought was interesting was their lack of attention to the camera. Yeah there were certain moments where Macklemore was dancing in front of the camera, but most of the video just seemed so personal between just the two of them. Showing how much he loved his Grandma and just what he would do for her. Leaving the viewer with a lot of emotions. Definitely a music video that could be a potential tear jerker.

The end is a perfect summarization of their day. Just the two of them on a dock holding each other's hands watching the sunset. It is truly an inspiring video that shows how much we have to live for. That family is everything. That we are all in control of our own lives and should live it to the fullest. That age is just a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment